Strawberry Chicken Salad Tea SandwichesThese Strawberry Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches will become a staple for your Tea Parties, brunches or summer picnics! Elegant and delicious!
[ultimate-recipe-jump text="Take Me to the Recipe!"]
These are part of our Royal Wedding Tea menu created to celebrate Prince Harry and Meghan's wedding! You could serve them for bridal or baby showers, Mother's Day Brunch or tea or a Girlfriend Tea. They are elegant but substantial!
There was a bit of a strawberry theme going on with these delicious Strawberry Cream Cheese Bites
and Strawberry Cream White tea! (On the left, the other one is Ginger Peach Black Tea)
These were so appetizing I did not change the recipe from Tea Time magazine one bit!
The filling is rather moist with the strawberries and mandarins. If making ahead don't put the strawberry garnish on until you are ready to serve. They are best served the same day as they are made, although you can make the filling a day ahead. They bread gets a bit soft on day 2. I have to say I stilled enjoyed the leftovers though!
This filling is so good you could also just serve it on a bed of lettuce and turn it into a salad meal.
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 ½ cups chicken breast meat about 3 breasts depending on size
- 1 cup strawberries plus 3 more large berries for garnish
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ⅓ cup celery
- ¼ cup green onion
- 1 11 oz can mandarin pieces drained
Poppy Seed Dressing
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar substitute white wine vinegar if necessary
- 2 tsps poppy seeds
- 2 tsps sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Put all dressing ingredients into a blender and blend til smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use to allow flavours to meld.
- Poach chicken breasts in sauce pan over medium heat in water that reaches half way up the chicken breasts. About 10 minutes per side. Check for doneness.
- While chicken is cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay pecans out in a single layer on an oven proof pan. Toast about 13 minutes. Remove when browned and you can smell the nuts. Allow nuts to cool.
- While chicken is cooking rough chop the strawberries, celery and green onions and mandarins.
- When cool roughly chop chicken.
- Put chicken and other salad ingredients (except bread) in your food processor and pulse a few times until there are no big chunks of meat or fruit or vegetables. Be careful not to over process into a paste.
- Mix chicken salad and dressing. Chicken salad mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
- When ready to serve, cut crusts off the bread slices. Make sure your bread is square.
- Spread chicken salad mixture evenly over one half of the bread slices. It will be quite thick. Top with a plain piece of bread. Cut diagonally in half.
- Thinly slice the 3 strawberries reserved for garnish into 4 slices each. Top each sandwich with a slice of strawberry just before plating.