This Port Vinaigrette makes a strong statement. It is delicious on a substantial salad. I served it with this Grilled Pear Salad with Blue Cheese.
It could overwhelm a delicate salad but it would certainly enhance a spinach salad with grilled mushrooms or spicy arugula salad with thinly sliced beef.
- 1 cup Ruby Port
- 1 shallot minced
- ½ cup walnut oil you can substitute olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsps red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring port and shallot to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until port is reduced to a ½ cup. (about 10 minutes). Strain the port and allow to cool. Discard the shallots.
- Whisk in all the remaining ingredients just before serving.