This tart Cherry Port Sauce is so awesome and so easy to make! You can use this on duck breasts, chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, even ice cream!
You can find tart cherries bottled in their juice along with other preserved fruits in your grocery store.
I served it over this Crispy Duck .
According to Dr. Natasha Turner (a respected Canadian naturopath) tart cherries:
- can reduce inflammation thereby improving on osteoarthritic pain and helping to stave off gout,
- improve sleep as a natural source of melatonin
- decrease post-workout soreness
- combat belly fat
- reduce stroke risk.
For the full article see here -http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/natasha-turner-nd/cherries-benefits_b_3757989.html
- 1/2 cup tart cherries pitted
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 cup Ruby Port (you can substitute a fruity red wine)
- Sautee shallots in 2 Tbsps butter approx 3 minutes.
- Add cherries, broth and honey and cook over medium/high heat till cherries are soft and volume has reduced by about half. This can take 5-8 minutes.
- Add Port and reduce further until the sauce is syrupy -about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 Tbsps butter and mix until combined.