I may have to make a new category called ‘Life Changing Recipes’ to file this Bourbon Rhubarb BBQ Sauce under!
And guess what else? It has strawberries in it too!
You won’t be able to pinpoint either flavour but the combination of sweet, tart, tangy is absolutely delicious. I followed the Taste of Home recipe and was inspired in particular by all the comments saying people hadn’t made enough… they ran out and wished they had made more!
So.. when I was gifted a healthy amount of fresh rhubarb (Thank you Lynda!) I stopped looking for bread, muffin uses and just decided to make a double recipe of the sauce. I am soooo glad I did!!
I had this originally on Baby Back Ribs but it would go well on chicken or anything else you would put BBQ sauce on.
I was lucky that local strawberries were on sale so I had both fresh rhubarb and fresh berries to work with but I think you could use frozen just as well. After all- you simmer and mash it and there are no discernable fruit pieces left in the sauce.
Bourbon Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
- 3 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb sliced See Note 1
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and halved
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes `
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Add rhubarb and strawberries to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered 8-10 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Drain fruit and mash while hot.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in the rhubarb/strawberry pot. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except rhubarb/strawberry mixture) and stir to combine. Add Rhubarb/strawberry mixture, bring to a boil. If using immediately proceed with your recipe. If storing for future use simmer 15 minutes to meld flavour.
- Use like any BBQ Sauce. Sauce will keep 1 week sealed in the fridge. Freeze any extra for future use.