These ribs won our taste contest. 4 ingredients, 15 minutes to prepare and 4 hours in your slow cooker. A lot of taste for a little effort!
I was having company and happened to have a lot of back ribs in my freezer so I took the opportunity to experiment with 3 different flavours of ribs. They were all a hit but these took the blue ribbon among my guests.
There are many ways to make ribs. I like to salt and pepper my ribs and cook them in my pressure cooker. For my pressure cooker it only takes about 32 minutes. You would have to follow the instructions for your specific appliance since psi difference from one brand to another will affect cooking time. I do a quick release and then just pour the sauce over the hot ribs. Then I let them steep in the sauce in the fridge overnight and reheat on a medium/low BBQ or in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.
In this scenario I used the slow cooker, which is a great asset in the summer when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen. They take 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the slow cooker. You can serve immediately or finish off on the BBQ if you want to dry the sauce up a bit or add to you patio dinner atmosphere!
The sauce can’t get any easier with bottled hoisin sauce from your Chinese grocery section, commercial BBQ sauce and Jack Daniels!
The only effort required is to strip the silver skin off the back of the ribs. If you start at the narrow rib end and can get enough off the meat to get a finger hold all the way across the rib section you can usually pull it off in one straight pull. Don’t use a serrated knife to get the skin started- use a sold edge knife.
Then you can section your ribs and drop them into the sauce in the slow cooker. And you’re done! Now it just needs time to cook!
Pretty easy huh?
Oh.. and second prize went to these award winning Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey Ribs. Fireball is a Canadian Cinnamon Whiskey that brings a special twist to the ribs as well!
Ribs and Rub
- 3 lbs pork back ribs
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce I used Kraft Original BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Remove the silver skin off the back of the ribs. Sprinkle salt and pepper evely over both sides of the racks of ribs.
- Cut ribs into 2-3 rib sections.
- Mix all the Sauce ingredients together and pour into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add in the ribs and stir to ensure all ribs are covered in sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Preheat your BBQ to medium heat after 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- Remove the ribs to a platter. Pour any residual sauce into a measuring cup.
- Brown ribs on the BBQ grilll for another 15 minutes, basting with the residual sauce.
- Transfer finished ribs to a platter and serve.