This Rhubarb Ketchup is rather savoury compared to the all tomato, store bought kind.
You would not be able to pick out that it is rhubarb…it is just savoury. I loved it on hamburgers. But it would be good with any grilled meat -chicken, pork chops etc. Try it in pulled pork!
It takes a while to make but it isn’t hands on time if you are around the kitchen you can just stir it occasionally.
I am not sure how long it would keep in the fridge. A week would be okay but not sure after that so I froze what I didn’t use in small containers.
- 3 cups rhubarb in 2" chunks
- 3 cups whole peeled tomatoes with juice I used a 28 oz can
- 1 large sweet onion in chunks
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Puree rhubarb, tomatoes and onion if a food processor or blender til smooth.
- Transfer to a sauce pan and add remaining ingredients. Simmer 60-80 minutes until the desired thickness. Stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool and transfer to jars or bottles. Will keep a week in the fridge. Freeze any excess.