This Quick Pickled Cucumber Salad is part of the Chairman of Viking Cruises favourite meal - and for good reason!
When cucumbers are fresh off the vine this salad is a real treat. The simple ingredients let that new cucumber flavour come through. Of course you can make it any time of year with those cute mini cucumbes or an English cucumber.
There is something about Rice Wine Vinegar that gives food an extra crunch - at it is evident in this instance!
A bit of water softens the vinegar's bite and some sugar in the mix just makes every bite delicious! I couldn't resist adding a bit of sweet, picant pickled pepper.
I served it as part of my Viking Cruise Ship Dinner menu. According to the Viking Cruise recipe, this salad is served on the plate along with the Chariman's Choice Poached Salmon with Pickled Cucumber Salad. I found the crispy texture and sweet tang of the salad detracted from the delicious salmon and creamy sauce. So I would serve it on its own ahead of the salmon plate. It could replace the Beet and Burrata Salad that was the second course of the dinner if you want to streamline the menu.
Streamline really is the key word here - this little salad only takes minutes to put together. It needs to rest about 30 minutes. I actually let mine rest a couple of hours and it was fine.
The bonus here is that you can make this salad well ahead and get on with the other parts of your meal.
The leftovers the next day were still very good and crispier than I expected.
Viking Cruise Recipe: Quick Pickled Cucmber Salad
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 Tbsps sugar
- 1 ½ oz water 50 ml
- 4 oz rice wine vinegar 120 ml
- sweet pickled pepper slices optional
- Peel and slice cucumbers in to rounds. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Press cucumber slices between two sheets of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Mix vinegar, water and sugar together and pour over cucumber slices (and pickled pepper slices if using). Refrigerate and allow to sit at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Drain excess liquid off cucmbers and serve.