This Spicy Thai Noodle Salad is a substantial summer salad that is wonderful for summer entertaining.
This salad can be served cold or at room temperature. You can make it ahead so you are not cooking in the heat of the day in summer.
My husband can't get enough of this salad. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days so it is handy to have on hand. Does it get any better than that?
The ingredients for this are simple and ones that you will probably have in your pantry at any time. The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of honey. I put it as the last ingredient since I would suggest you try the dressing before adding. Some peanut butters are already very sweet and you may not need all or any of it.
You can also vary the amount of garlic and red pepper flakes if you want to tone it down a bit. On the other hand if you really like heat you can increase the pepper flakes or pass more on the side.
This is a great salad for grown ups and kids alike. The peanut taste in the pasta sauce is a taste that is familiar to kids and widely accepted.
I serve with my Ginger Soy Salmon
and this Cucumber Mango Salad.
Wine Pairing for Spicy Thai Noodle Salad
An off dry wine tends to pair best with Thai flavours and the peanut sauce here has a sweet note from the peanut butter. Look for an off dry Riesling, Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris. These would also pair well with the other dishes suggested for this entertaining menu.
- 8 oz linguine noodles
- 1 cup sweet red and yellow peppers diced
- ½ cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth Sub vegetable broth for vegetarian
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsps lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or to taste)
- Cook the pasta according to manufacturer's instructions. Rinse and cool down immediately when done cooking. Mix in peppers and onions.
- In a large measuring cup heat the chicken broth in the microwave 1 minute on high.
- Stir in the peanut butter and whisk until incorporated.
- Stir in remaining dressing ingredients.
- Pour half the dressing over the noodles and reserve the remainder. Just before serving re-whisk the dressing and add the second half just before serving.