This delicious Smoky Scallop Chowder really sticks to your ribs and you can make all in one pot!
Chowders come in many shapes and forms, salmon chowder, clam chowder, manhattan clam chowder, mixed fish chowders.
This one is super simple with bay scallops and the smoked paprika gives it a subtle extra kick of flavour.
It will easily serve 8 people as a starter course or beside a sandwich for lunch. If you want it to be the whole meal you might plan on 6 servings.
- try to cut the vegetables the same size and fairly small. You don’t want to have to ‘cut’ your soup!
- you can substitute fresh baby potatoes or gourmet potatoes finely chopped without peeling. More fiber and nutrients!
- You can reduce the water to 1 1/2 cups and add 1/2 cup of clam juice if you like
I served it with this delicious No Knead Dill Bread. It is made with ricotta cheese and is dense and moist. A perfect partner to this chowder!
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tsps flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb bay scallops
- 2 Tbsps parsley
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- In a large dutch oven, fry the bacon bits til crisp and remove from pan.
- Add the potatoes, celery,onion, paprika, salt and pepper to pan and saute over medium high heat til soft about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables in the pot and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in liquids and bring to a simmer. Add bacon back in and simmer about 15 minutes. Stir frequently and do not let it come to a rolling boil to avoid a skin forming on the top.
- Add the scallops and parsley and cook about 3 minutes until scallops are opaque.
- Discard the bay leaf and stir in the lemon juice just before serving.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 304mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g