Bright and fresh, this Creamy Carrot Soup may surprise you with its unusual ingredient.
Brandy adds a little depth to the flavour but you would be hard pressed to identify what it actually is. It is, of course, totally optional but it does complement the carrots natural sweetness.
This is a great soup to warm you up in chilly or down-right cold weather but I made it in summer when fresh carrots were in season and it was delicious then too!
A dash of lemon brightens it up and brings the carrot flavour to the fore.
A hint of fresh herbs is also nice. I used parsley because that is what I had on hand but tarragon would be nice as well.
A serving of this weighs in at only 142 calories. With low sodium salt the sodium level is quite manageable as well.
Feel free to enjoy guilt-free!
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 lb carrots peeled and sliced into thin coins
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp brandy optional
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juice only
- fresh parsley for garnish can sub tarragon
- Melt butter in a large pot. Saute carrots and onions for about 8 minutes to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer 15 minutes or so till carrots is are tender.
- Puree broth in batches in a blender. Add the brandy to last batch. Add sour cream and stir or whisk to blend well.
- Return soup to pot and bring back to a simmer to ensure it is heated through evenly. Do not let it boil.
- Distribute among 4 bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.