Argentinian Grilled Shrimp Tacos will be the best shrimp tacos you have ever had!
I love shrimp tacos of any kind but Argentinian wild shrimp take them up a notch and make them meaty and substantial.
When I see Chipotle Shrimp Tacos on a menu I have a hard job getting past that item to see what else there is! I love the shrimp tacos at Red Lobster. I order them all the time at Mr. Sanchos beach club in Cozumel.
And I can also attest that the Cineplex VIP makes a mean shrimp taco as well.
So eventually I am thinking… why don’t I make my own? It took me a few tries to get the seasoning and texture the way I like but I have it down now!
I tried small salad shrimp at first because they seemed neater to stuff a tortilla with but they didn’t have the right texture or smoky flavour.
I finally hit on Argentinian Wild Shrimp. I coat them with cornstarch and ground chipotle and grill them. The cornstarch coating holds the seasoning on the shrimp and the BBQ adds to the smoky flavour.
If you can’t find Argentinian Wild Shrimp use jumbo tiger shrimp.
I serve them with this Lime Crema. It is particularly nice because it is cool and refreshing in contrast to the chipotle.
You can do all this on the BBQ so this makes a great summer meal. Quick and easy.
If you use 100% corn tortillas this is also Gluten Free!
If you are in the mood for tacos you might like these Pulled Pork Tacos too!
- 1 lb Argentinian wild shrimp or other jumbo shrimp uncooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle
- shredded lettuce or cabbage for garnish optional
- Lime Crema for garnish optional
- Lime wedges for garnish optional
- 6 mini tortillas about 4 1/2"
- Preheat the BBQ.
- Rinse and pat the shrimp dry.
- Mix cornstarch and chipotle in a sealable bag that will hold all the shrimp. Toss the shrimp to coat them.
- Let the shrimp sit in the fridge about 30 minutes. This helps the coating adhere well. (You can do this well ahead of time if you like).
- BBQ shrimp over medium heat until opaque. Do not over cook. Mine took about 7 minutes for large shrimp.
- Warm tortillas on the grill.
- Rough chop the shrimp and divided them among the tortillas.
- Serve with Lime Crema, Pico de Gallo or condiments of your choice.