Three plus one optional ingredient and no special equipment needed to make this delicious Pistachio Ice Cream!
I was following the principles of Any Ice Cream Flavour with 4 Ingredients. You whip 35% cream to soft peaks, combined the Pisti pistachio cream with the sweeten condensed milk until uniformly mixed. Add some crushed pistachios if desired. I beat the flavoured sweeten condensed milk into the whipped cream because I want the ice cream to be uniformly 'pisatchio' green! Beat on low until you have a uniform texture and distribution.
Freeze ... voilà... you have homemade pistachio ice cream! Totally decadent and totally delicious!
How Do I Store Pistachio Cream?
According to the American Pistachio site pistachio cream will keep open at room temperature for a couple of weeks. Never opened or open and refrigerated it will last indefinitely. (Think of it like peanut butter?)
You will want to let it come to room temperature before you use it though or it will be too stiff to blend with the other ingredients.
Now that you have opened that jar of Pisti (I got mine at Costco) you may be wondering what to do with the rest of the jar.
You can spread it on toast or over crepes if you like like Nutella or use it in more baking.
Check out Pistachio Cheesecake and Pistachio Cream Crumb cake. They are both delicious and the both freeze well so if you are on a 'pistachio baking extravaganza' you can make them all and serve or freeze as you see fit. I honestly can't decide which one I like best!
Pistachio Ice Cream
- 2 cups whipping ceam
- 10 oz sweeten condensed milk
- ⅓ cup Pisti pistachio cream
- ¼ cups pistachio nuts crushed optional but recommended
- green food colouring optional
- Whip cream to soft mounds in a large bowl.
- Mix the Pisti and the sweeten condensed milk till uniformly mixed.
- Optional: add a bit of green food colouring to the sweeten condensed milk mixture to brighten the colour. The pistachio cream natureally is an avocado green and will light to a light sage colour. If you want a brighter colour add a tiny bit of brighter green food colouring. Start with a tiny amount and make sure it is evenly incorporated. Remember the colour will go much lighter when mixed with the whipped cream. I used LorAnn Oils Green Poder (Dextrose, FD&C Yellow 5 Lake Blue 1 Lake). I added about ¼ teaspoon in bits at a time until I got a brighter green.
- Beat the sweeten condensed milk mixture slowly in to the whipped cream until uniformly incorporated.