This Peach Crisp with Caramel and Almonds takes advantage of fresh peaches in season. I also add Amaretto which enhances both the peach and almond flavours.
I like fruit crisps because you avoid the calories of pastry but the topping adds a lot of toasty flavour.
Peaches in season are such a treat - sweet and juicy . They are a bit like avocados in that they are not ripe, not ripe, not ripe, ripe, over-ripe, over-ripe, over-ripe, over-ripe. You gotta catch them at just the right time. There are vendors at the Kitchener Farmer's Market that ask you when you plan to serve them and if you are baking with them or eating them fresh. Then they will carefully select peaches at the correct stage of ripeness for your purpose. Yes- there is a Kitchener Farmer's Market as well as the larger St. Jacob's Farmer's Market. How lucky are we????
Somehow the canned version of peaches are a bit of a sweet, syrupy abomination. (IMHO!)
This recipe calls for amaretto in the peach mixture which complements the toasted almonds in the topping. I like to buy whole almonds and roughly crush them. They are bit more obvious in the topping than thinly sliced would be. However - use whatever you have on hand or works for you.
You can easily make this gluten free by substituting gluten free flour for the wheat flour or half the amount of corn starch. It is not like a bread where texture is really important.
This comes together fairly quickly. The biggest effort is peeling and slicing the peaches.
Enjoy it warm with a side of ice cream. I like it with the butter pecan variation of this ice cream.
- 6 large fresh peaches
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup 1 cup toffee bits such as Skor or 1 cup caramel sauce but it won't be as crunchy
- 1 cup almonds rough chopped
- 6 Tbsps flour substitute gluten free flour or 3 Tbsps corn starch if desired
- 4 ½ Tbsps unsalted butter cut in ½" cubes
- ¼ cup rolled oats (not instant)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an oven proof pie plate.
- Peal and slice peaches. Toss peaches in a bowl with the sugar, amaretto and lemon juice.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together.
- Pour peaches into the pie plate. Cover evenly with the topping.
- Bake approximately 60 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.