I love this Melon and Crispy Prosciutto Salad. It is a bit different than many with the salty prosciutto standing in for the North American bacon fix.
We add crispy bacon to our salads so why not go a bit Euro with crispy prosciutto?
The dressing is also flavourful. I use the dressing on all kinds of green salads.
This is one of the first recipes I published because it is one of my favourite recipes. You may have been able to tell that because the photo is so bad. I have on my Todo list to reshoot the photos to make it look as appealing as it tastes.
These flavours lean toward Italian with the prosciutto and melon. The balsamic in the dressing also nods to Italian.
It may just make it into your rotation once you have tried it.
What Goes With Melon and Crispy Prosciutto Salad?
This salad goes with everything – beef, chicken, spaghetti. I served this salad with Veal Shells with Marsala and Vermouth for an Italian themed lunch.
See the wine pairing notes for this meal as well.
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup honeydew melon 1" dice
- 1 cup canteloupe 1" dice
- 2 Tbsps whole almonds
- 2 Tbsp shallots minced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Put almonds in a resealable bag and roughly crush with a rolling pin. Spread almond pieces on a pie plate and roast in 375 degree oven approx 12 minutes. Check often since nuts can burn quickly.
- On a microwaveable plate, spread prosciutto in a single layer. Microwave on high approx 4 minutes. Check after 2 minutes since ovens can vary widely. Allow to cool and crumble into fine bits.
- Mix melons and lettuce in large bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients. Just before serving add almonds to the salad and toss with the dressing.
- Top with prosciutto bits and serve.