These tasty little Herbed Zucchini Bites are perfect to use up some of that zucchini that is everywhere at this time of year! Fresh herbs take them from ho hum to delicious!
I have to admit that I love zucchini season! My friends often gift me some big honkin' zucchinis in the latter part of summer. I love making this Savoury Zucchini Bread. It is so good I keep making it again and again but this year I will prod myself to try some different flavours. The zucchini makes the loaf so moist it is wonderful!
I have been making these little zucchini balls over and over again, along with these Marinated Mushrooms.
They both make light calorie sides that pack big flavour!
You can mix up the herbs in these to suit your taste. I use fresh basil, tarragon and oregano most often - likely because my plants for these are like triffids!
I am thinking I might make these as a side for rack of lamb and go oregano, mint and rosemary or something like that. Chives are a nice addition as well.
Fresh is probably the most important aspect at this time of the year. Dill would be good too. So many choices! Use what you have!
You could serve these as an appetizers with toothpicks. I think they would be good with a dip as well..ranch would be good, tomato based dip would be good too.
So... now you know why I am looking forward the season of unstoppable zucchini!
Last year I was given an humungous zucchini just as I was leaving the city to visit my sister. So I took it a long. Over-sized zucchinis may not always be welcome as a 'hostess gift' (right up there with the over-ripe bananas my Mom would bring with her!). As it turns out my sister made zucchini relish which was delicious.
So this year I think when I find zucchini on my doorstep I will plan to make relish and maybe zucchini pickles! Will share recipe when I get it out of my sister!
In the meantime - enjoy these little morsels!
Herbed Zucchini Bites
- 1 9" zucchini (enough to make 1 cup shredded with water wrung out)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 egg
- 8 large basil leaves
- 3 Tbsps chives minced
- 3 Tbsps fresh tarragon leaves minced
- 3 Tbsps fresh oregano leaves minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an baking dish with cooking spray.
- Wash zucchini and removed ends. Grate with a box grater or in a food processor. (If using food processor chop coarsely or it will liquify).
- Squeeze liquid from grated zucchini. You can wring zucchini in a clean towel or squeeze against a strainer. I squeeze it in my fist and set aside. After I have squeezed it all I make a second pass and get more liquid out of it.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir well to combine evenly.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, pack it full of mixture. Shake it out and shape into a ball. Place on baking dish with a bit of space between them so the hot air can circulate. Spray tops with cooking spray (optional).
- Bake about 18 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and enjoy!