These Garlic Parmesan Potatoes are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.
You parboil them first. Don't skip this step because that is what makes the crispy, creamy contrast. The outsides crisp up and the center stays moist.
The garlic parmesan makes a delightfully tasty outside crumb. These are so good. They are perfect to go beside a relatively plain main, such as Chicken Cutlets, because they have so much flavour on their own.
I served them with Red Wine Braised Beef... and that was a delicious combination.
I added instructions in the notes on how to add roasted carrots to the menu. If you do the same steps for the carrots (minus the parmesan coating) you can have your side vegetable cooking at the same time with very little extra effort. You can parboil the carrots so they roast in the same amount of time as the potatoes. And again- they don't get all dried up and wrinkly as some (over) roasted carrots can get. You can use a separate baking pan or add them to your potato pan if you have room. Note the potatoes must be in a single layer to get the crispness so don't crowd the potatoes, and especially not just to get the carrots iin there!
Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- 4 ½ lbs waxy young potatoes red bliss or Yukon Gold
- ¼ cup olive oil + more for greasing bottom of baking pan
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or mix of dried thyme, rosemary and oregano
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- If potatoes are baby, wash them and leave skins on. If larger, peel them and quarter or halve them to be uniform 2 ½" or so.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Generously coat the bottom of a baking pan, large enough to hold potatoes in a single layer with olive oil.
- Add potatoes to cold, salted water and parboil 8 minutes. Do not over cook - if potatoes are small check after 5 minutes. They should be tender crisp but not soft. (See Note 1 if roasting carrots as well.) Drain potatoes.
- While potatoes are parboiling mix the olive oil, garlic, herbs, pepper and parmesan in a large bowl to form a paste. Add parboiled potatoes and toss to coat them.
- Arrange the potatoes in the baking pan and roast on the bottom rack for 25 minutes. Turn potatoes once and roast a further 15 minutes. Potatoes should be crispy and golden. If you want the crust crispier turn on broiler, leave potatoes on the bottom rack and broil a few minutes until you get the colour you want.
- Melt butter when potatoes are done and drizzle over potatoes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.