How lucky for us that the ingredients for this Healthy Cucumber Salad are available all year long.
This salad is refreshing in the summer and restorative in the winter. Once March comes I seem to always be trying to hurry Spring along. This salad was a refreshing change from some of the heavier winter salads I have been making.
It is easy to make and looks so pretty with all those pastel colours! I think it would look really nice on an Easter dinner table!
It makes a nice side to a chicken breast or pork tenderloin.
I may try adding salad shrimp to it next time to make it more of a luncheon salad. Oohh.. can’t wait!
This salad is so easy to make- just a bit of peeling and chopping. You can use light sour cream and light mayonnaise to keep the calories down.
There are not many ingredients here so the fresh mint and fresh lime juice and zest are worth seeking out to give this salad its pop.
Wine Pairing for Healthy Cucumber Salad With Kiwi and Canteloupe
The fruit in this salad makes it on the sweet side. I would look for a fruity, off-dry Riesling or Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris. An off-dry Torrontes could work as well.
The off-dry is important – a dry wine will taste sour next to the sweeter tones of this salad.
Look for descriptors like citrus (lime would be ideal), aromatic, peach, apricot, stone fruit, honey.
Healthy Cucumber Salad with Kiwi and Canteloupe
- 1 English cucumber seeded and chopped in 1" chunks
- 3 kiwis peeled and chopped in 1" chunks
- 1 cup canteloupe peeled and chopped in 1" chunks
- 3 green onions, sliced white and light green parts
- 2 Tbsps fresh mint chopped
- 5 Tbsps light sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsps light mayonnaise
- pinch of salt
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Combine the cucumber, kiwi, green onion, canteloupe and mint in a bowl.
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayo, salt and lime juice and zest.
- Pour salad cream over the salad and serve.