Cookie crumb crust makes this Ginger Cream Torte almost no bake. The ginger cream is to die for and you can showcase whatever fruit is in season on top!
I have made this with blueberries and raspberries and now strawberries. They had the most beautiful strawberries at the market. I didn't know what I would make but I was getting them! Check them out - I mean... look at this...would you pass these up?
This is a fantastic make ahead dessert! It needs to sit at least 8 hours. I like to get my detail work out of the way before noon. So for me -making this in the morning is a bonus! You can make it the day ahead of serving if you like. The ginger cream includes gelatin so the whipped cream holds its form really nicely.
This Ginger Cream Tart recipe first appeared in Epicurious and called for ½ cup of crystallized ginger. They also did not strain the ginger out. I like a more subtle ginger flavour but if you are a ginger fan you can go with the original approach.
The cookie crumb crust is really easy to make. You just process the cookies, butter and sugar and press into a spring form pan. Bake for 15 minutes and you are done with your oven. The ginger cream uses your stove top briefly.
You can put whatever fruit is in season on top of this. I had to cut around the strawberries carefully. Smaller fruits like blueberries or raspberries make cutting and serving a tad easier. You could halve your strawberries or even slice them if you want. Fresh blackberries would be good as well. Next time I may try fresh peach slices. I will have to run them through a water bath with lemon juice so they don't turn brown and would just top the torte before I serve it. Strawberries and other fruit would be more forgiving as far as making ahead!
Ginger Cream Torte
- 2 cups short bread cookie crumbs (about 10 oz of cookies)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsps cold unsalted butter
Filling & Topping
- 1 ½ teaspoon gelatin
- 2 Tbsps milk
- ¼-1/2 cup crystallized ginger finely diced ( see note above)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup 35% cream (divided 1 cup + 1 cup)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 10" spring form pan with cooking spray.
- Pulse the cookies, sugar and cold butter in a food processor until finely ground. Press evenly into the bottom of the spring form pan.
- Bake 15 minutes then allow to cool.
Filling & Topping
- In a sauce pan add ginger, sugar, lemon juice, salt and 1 cup of whipping cream. Heat over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 Tbsps milk and allow to sit 1 minute. Add to the sauce pan mixture and stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the stove and strain into a bowl. Discard the ginger pieces. Allow to cool.
- Whisk the sour cream until it is smooth. Beat the other cup of whipping cream til soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the sour cream. Fold in the cooled ginger mixture.
- Pour cream mixture into the cooled crust, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. (Can be made the day before).
- Remove spring form side and with a spatula gently transfer the torte to a serving plate. Clean your fresh fruit and position evenly over the top of the torte. Serve and enjoy!