These easy Chicken Crepes elevate your leftover chicken to new heights! Crepes were the 'original' wraps well before Asian cuisine became familiar to us.
[ultimate-recipe-jump text="Take Me to the Recipe!"]
This is a great way to use up leftover chicken because you can use white meat and the darker meat as well if you have a whole chicken. Alternatively you could use a rotisserie chicken to make it easy. You could also make this with leftovers from your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey! Coup!
I used some dry chicken soup base to amp up the flavour in the sauce. Since the base is quite salty you don't need to add additional salt to the sauce. I get mine in bulk from Bulk Barn. If you don't have dry soup mix then melt a chicken bouillon cube in the cup of wine before you add the wine to the pan.
The crepe recipe makes 8 or 9 crepes and the filling here is for 6 crepes so you will have extra crepes or you can increase the filling depending on how many servings you need.
The timing on the recipe includes making the crepes. End to end... you will want to mix the batter first and leave it to rest for 60 minutes. You can prep the filling while the batter is resting. Then you can prepare the chicken/wine filling while the crepes are cooking so your hands on cooking time would be about 35 minutes. This assumes you are working with 2 crepe pans and separate skillet for the filling.
You can use whatever herbs you have on hand. Tarragon is very traditional French but parsley or thyme or chives would work too. You can also add different vegetables if you like. I would keep the mushrooms but you could add a bit of asparagus, peas, zucchini etc.
I would serve the same wine I used in the sauce with this. I made it with Chardonnay but any dry white wine would work for example Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, Muscadet Sevre et Main. Sauvignon Blanc would work well with an asparagus filling.
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup sweet red pepper diced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup dry chicken soup base (or dissolve 1 bouillon cube in the wine above)
- ½ cup cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tsps fresh tarragon minced
- ½ lemon
- parsley for garnish optional
- 1 recipe French Crepes
- Start cooking the crepes according to the French Crepe recipe, using 2 skillets.
- In a third skillet, melt the butter and saute the mushrooms and onions until the mushrooms release their juices - about 8-10 minutes.
- Dissolve the chicken soup base in the wine. Add the Dijon mustard.
- Add the wine mixture to the mushrooms and onions and add the chicken and peppers. Heat mixture through.
- Add enough cream to the tablespoon of cornstarch to make a thin paste. Stir the cornstarch into the sauce and stir well. Add remaining cream and cook until the sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Squeeze juice of half a lemon into the sauce and add the fresh tarragon. Remove filling from heat when you are ready to fill the crepes.
- Divide filling among 6 warm crepes and roll the crepes to contain the filling. Garnish with fresh herbs as desired.