This Cherry Soup is a cinch to make with frozen Bing Cherries. The Cinnamon Croutons add a savoury hint. All very satisfying and refreshing on a hot summer day.
If you want to keep it Gluten Free just add a pinch of cinnamon over the soup instead of the croutons (or use GF bread for the croutons) and you will get a similar savoury note.
Heresy you say? Using frozen cherries during cherry season? I know… I struggled with it as I looked at the fresh seasonal cherries on my counter. But when I looked at other recipes they tended to simmer fresh cherries to soften them up and create more juice, I assume.
I was going for super-easy, no-cook though. You know… heat wave food. And … pitting fresh cherries is a bit of pain too. Plus.. I enjoy fresh cherries so much I couldn’t bring myself to purée them.
I usually have frozen cherries on hand for smoothies and Overnight Oats breakfast recipes so they were calling my name.
So.. I was going for no cook but the idea of the Cinnamon croutons was intriguing me so I decided to go for that part.
Some recipes add cinnamon and cloves which sounded a bit overpowering to me so I hit on the idea of croutons lightly dusted with cinnamon. They are to-die-for. I was popping them in my mouth like little snacks.
I think they would also make an interesting addition to many salads as well so I am going to work on that too!
- Use light sour cream to keep the calories low and the flavour light.
- Don’t skip the lemon juice. It brightens the soup and cuts the candy-level sweetness.
- If you don’t want to make Cinnamon Croutons then just add a pinch of cinnamon to each serving. Or- blend it in if you like.
- You can make the soup in 5 minutes. The croutons will take about 5 minutes to cube the bread, 15 minutes to bake, and 10 minutes to cool.
Enjoy this on your patio or for a picnic. You could also serve little portions at a brunch or as an amuse-bouche in shot glasses or small drinking containers.
- 2 cups frozen, pitted Bing Cherries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice preferably fresh
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon for garnish if not using cinnamon croutons
- whole cherries for garnish optional
- mint leaves for garnish optional
- 1/2 cup finely cubed bread
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss bread, oil and cinnamon til mixed. Spread as a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes til golden and crispy. Allow to cool
- Blend the cherries, sour cream and water in a blender til well mixed and there are no flecks of cherry skins. Add lemon juice last and give it a last whirl.
- Divide soup evenly among bowls or containers. Top with croutons. If not using croutons add a pinch of cinnamon to each bowl. Garnish with whole cherries and mint leaves if desired.