Move over Gazpacho- this Chilled Spanish Garlic Soup is satisfyingly perfect for warm sunny days!
This is a classic Spanish soup. White bread and ground almonds as thickeners, water as a base and fresh garlic really allow the garlic to shine through. The traditional is vegan using water and almonds as the soup base.
I chose to use the leftover poaching liquid from my Almond Poached Chicken Salad recipe. That makes thes soup nuttier and softens the garlic somewhat compared to the original.
You don't need to use the poaching liquid by any means- water is the traditional!
Don't skip the green seedless grape garnish - they add a hit of refreshing sweetness to contrast to the almond/garlic flavours.
Served cold, like Gazpacho this is a perfect summer offering. I sometimes serve tiny amounts in a shot glass or tea cup as an appetizer course.
Entertaining doesn't get any easier than this! An 'exotic' soup that takes only a few moment to blend together and then a few hours to chill. It keeps well for a couple of days sealed air tight in the fridge. Just whisk before serving to ensure it is evenly mixed. I have never had the soup separate so it is a perfect make ahead dish.
full bowl makes a substantial main course. With a full bowl I always want a nice crusty white bread to accompany it!
It is also quite appealing served in small shot glasses or tea cups if you want to serve it as an appetizer course, handsfree on the patio. Just be sure to halve the grapes so they are not a choking hazard. This is an especially good way to serve it if you have chosen to up the garlic to a sharper flavour.
Wine Pairing for Chilled Spanish Almond Soup
A white Rioja would be a fun pairing nodding to the Spanish roots of this dish. A full bodied white like Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc would work. A Soave would also be an interesting choice.
Spanish Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)
- 1 cup blanched almonds Slivered almonds for baking work
- 1-2 cloves garlic See Note 2.
- 3 cups cold water I used the poaching liquid from Almond Poached Chicken Salad.)
- 1 cup cubed fresh bread like baguette crust removed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup green seedless grapes
- olive oil for drizzling
- Blend almonds, garlic and water in a high speed blender like a Vitamix. Start on low and increase the speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Test to make sure the mixture is not grainy. See Note 3.
- Add the bread cubes and blend til smooth again.
- Blend in the olive oil and salt. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- Refrigerate, covered for a couple of hours to chill and allow flavours to meld.
- Serve chilled with halved green grapes and drizzle of olive oil for garnish. Pass more crusty bread if desired.
- Soup will keep a 2-3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.