Basil Oil makes infusing your food with fresh herbs easy.
If you have luscious basil plants in your herb garden making Basil Oil is easy and a great way to incorporate basil flavour in to your meal.
I drizzled it on this Beet and Burrata Salad but there are many uses.
Any where you would like a hit of basil, you can drizzle this oil. Think plain, fresh tomato slices, drizzled on a pizza, drizzled over lamb or fish… you can use your imagination.
My Vitamix blender is very powerful so it blended up to a smooth texture. Depending on your blender performance you may need to strain the oil through a very fine seive or cheesecloth if you have any texture remaining from the basil leaves.
It needs to sit at least 8 hours for the flavour to meld but 24 is better. It wil lkeep up to one week, sealed in the fridge. Be sure to use it at room temperature.
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Rinse basil leaves. Bring a large conatiner of water to a boil in the microwave. ( I use an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup.) Press basil leaves under the water and hold for about 20 seconds. Drain water and gently squeeze leaves in paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Blend basil and oil in blender until completely blended. Depending on the strength of your blender yo may need to pass the oil through a fine seive or cheesecloth to ensure the oil is smooth.
- Transfer oil to a pouring vessel, cover and refrigerate at least hours and preferably 12-24.
- Will keep refrigerated and sealed up to one week.