Honey Mustard and chicken are a natural combination and the the air fryer just makes it easier and healthier.
You see Tarragon mustard in gourmet shops so I decided to try a tarragon honey mustard flavouring. I am a fan of tarragon- moreso than my husband so I wrote the recipe with 1-2 Tablespoons of fresh tarragon. Go for the lesser amount if you are not sure.
If fresh tarragon is a challenge, as it can be out of season, look for Tarragon mustard in gourmet shops or on Amazon.
Although - some Amazon pricing is unbelievable at this point. I guess we have to blame it on supply chain disruption. I marvel at some of the mundane products that are not currently available. I guess we can tell what products come from China quite easily now!
Back to the chicken cutlets! I decided to get creative and I got some of those Honey Mustard Pretzels. I got them at Bulk Barn but you can buy them as commercially made snacks as well. (Not the Snack mix that contains nuts etc. )
I processed some to the size of panko crumbs and then roughly broke some up to use as 'croutons' in this Honey Mustard Pretzel Salad.
Fun - but again don't sweat it -you can use panko crumbs instead and croutons of choice in your salad and it will still be good thanks to the Hot Honey Mustard Dressing that adds a twist.
Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Cutlets
- air fryer Skillet instructions included.
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Honey mustard pretzels chunks (enough to make 1 cup coarse crumbs) or substitute 1 cup panko crumbs
- 2 Tbsps Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped can increase to 2 Tbsps if desired
- olive oil for spritzing
- lemon wedges optional
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally so you have 4 cutlets ½ the thickness of the original breasts.
- Place each cutlet between double plastic wrap sheets and pound lightly with a meat mallet until they are about ¼ to a ½" thick.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in one bowl. Whisk mustard, tarragon, lemon juice garlic and honey in a separate bowl.
- Crush Honey Mustard Pretzel chunks so they make a coarse crumb similar to panko crumbs. You should have 2 cups of crumbs on a flat plate.
- Dredge cutlets in flour dish, then spread each side with the mustard mixture. Dredge the cutlets in the crumbs. Cutlets should be evenly coated. Transfer each cutlet to a platter.
- You can wrap and freeze the cutlets in a single layer at this point. You can also refrigerate for 30 minutes or more to help the breading adhere well but it is not mandatory.
- When ready to cook, choose a setting that will give you 375°. Preheat the air fryer if necessary for your air fryer. (°See note below for pan frying.)
- Spritz each cutlet with oil and position in single layer on your tray(s). Cook 8-10 minutes turning cutlets at mid point. If using more than one tray you may need to rotate the trays at mid point as well. Coating should be evenly browned and internal temperature should have reached 165°. Air fry in batches if necessary.
- If cooking from frozen check internal temperature after 22 minutes following instructions above.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.