Honey mustard dressing and a Honey Mustard Pretzel topping will brighten up a winter salad.
So that spawned this Pear Walnut Salad with blue cheese and candied walnuts. Almost sounds good enough to be dessert!
Back to the salad. I was just looking for something to make a salad interesting in winter. I basically just went with what I had on hand that goes well with mustard. That ended up being greens, avocodo, red onion, celery and grape tomatoes.
And since I had some of those addictive Honey Mustard Pretzel nuggets on hand- leftover from the Honey Mustard Chicken it seemed like a good idea to break them up roughly and have them stand in for croutons.
Turns out it was a good idea!
Wine Pairing for Honey Mustard Pretzel Salad
Some chef/winemakers recommend Chardonnay or Pinot Noir to go with a mustard sauce. If it is Honey Mustard with a touch of sweetness I think you could also go for an off-dry Riesling, Pinot Gris or Gewerztraminer.
Any low tannin, fruity red would work. Think Beaujolais, Valpolicella or an herbal rosé.
Honey Mustard Pretzel Salad
- 4 cups greens sturdy greens of your choice
- ¼ small red onion sliced vertically, very thinly
- ½ cup celery sliced thinly
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 avocados sliced
- ⅓ cup Hot Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1 cup Honey Mustard Pretzels broken into large pieces
- Mix vegetables in a large bow. Toss with dressing. Top with Honey Mustard Pretzel pieces.