This Warm Creamy Potato Salad is quickly becoming one of my favourites!
This is the 3rd variation of German potato salad I am posting. The base of this is the same as Warm Potato Salad with Beer- only the dressing is different!
This creamy one is really interesting as well because of the warm butter, beer mix you pour over the hot potato dice. I think you will get a lot of people asking what is in this salad because unless you have seen the recipe it is hard to put your finger on on what you are tasting.
I like this one with Schnitzel because the creaminess offsets the dryness of the schnitzel cutlet. You can keep it relatively calorie light by using light mayonnaise and light sour cream.
As you may know from my other posts my favourite new way to cook my potatoes is in my pressure cooker, 15-17 minutes for 12 whole medium size potatoes! And no mushiness! I feel like I am becoming a broken record!
- Pressure Cooker or Dutch oven
- 12 medium white or yellow potatoes
- 4 strips bacon sliced ¼"
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsps butter melted
- 2 Tbsps cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon light beer (optional) (like Corona, Coors or a lager)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise I use Half Fat
- ½ cup sour cream I use 3% MF
- 1 tsp salt
- Lightly scrub potatoes. Cook whole with skins on. On a stove top this would take about 40 minutes in a dutch oven. Or, follow your pressure cooker instructions and cook for approximately 11 minutes. (Pressure cooker produces preferred final texture).
- Allow cooked potatoes to cool until you can handle to peel. They should still be warm to hot.
- While potatoes are cooking and cooling, sautée the bacon pieces and onion in a skillet.
- Mix the first quantities of butter, beer, cider vinegar, sugar and salt in small dish and microwave to melt the butter and heat mixture.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. While they are still warm mix them with the warm bacon and onions. Mix in the warm butter mixture and let them stand about 5 minutes to absorb.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a microwaveable cup. Heat gently -do not boil. I did about 2 minutes on ¾ power in my microwave.
- Pour warm dressing over warm salad and serve.