This Warm Potato Salad with Beer is so delicious! It lends itself to Oktoberfest season nicely but it also goes great with a BBQ Steak!
All German potato salads that I know of start by cooking your potatoes whole with skins on. That way they don’t get overcooked or mushy. But today I just discovered that the way I like to cook them best is in the pressure cooker. You may know from some of my other posts what a fan I am of my pressure cooker but today I became an even BIGGER fan!
I cooked 12 medium size potatoes in the pressure cooker, whole, skins on in 11 minutes. It took the pressure cooker about 5 minutes to come up to pressure. Compare that to about 40 minutes on the stove top! Because the potatoes sit on a rack above the liquid the skins didn’t even break open, let alone have the potatoes crack and get mushy in parts. They were perfect!! I am never going back to boiling on the stove!
The other key to a great potato salad is to mix the warm potato dice with a mixture of melted butter, salt and cider vinegar (plus my secret weapon ingredient below!). The warm potato will absorb this mixture and it builds a depth of flavour that can’t be replaced with just adding a dressing at the end. This works even for a salad you intend to serve cold.
I used a light beer, Corona actually. You don’t want too heavy a beer to overpower the other flavours and a dark beer will throw the colour off and becomes unappealing.
This salad is so flavourful. It is good warm or at room temperature. My husband would eat it cold as well but I am not sure I would!
It also goes well with this Beer Steak Marinade!
You may also like my Warm Creamy Potato Salad! Check it out!
- 12 medium white or yellow potatoes
- 4 strips bacon sliced 1/4"
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 Tbsps butter melted
- 2 Tbsps cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp light beer (like Corona, Coors or a lager)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 3/4 cup light beer (like Corona, Coors or a lager)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Lightly scrub potatoes. Cook whole with skins on. On a stove top this would take about 40 minutes in a dutch oven. Or, follow your pressure cooker instructions and cook for approximately 11 minutes. (Pressure cooker produces preferred final texture).
- Allow cooked potatoes to cool until you can handle to peel. They should still be warm to hot.
- While potatoes are cooking and cooling, sautée the bacon pieces and onion in a skillet.
- Mix the first quantities of butter, beer, cider vinegar, sugar and salt in small dish and microwave to melt the butter and heat mixture.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. While they are still warm mix them with the warm bacon and onions. Mix in the warm butter mixture and let them stand about 5 minutes to absorb.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a fairly large microwaveable cup. Boil in microwave until dressing is reduce to about 1/2 cup. This took about 11 minutes in my microwave in a measuring cup.
- Pour warm dressing over warm salad and serve.