This Spicy Black Pepper Beef really packs a punch! You grill the flank steak (or broil) and then sauce it so it is a great recipe for any time of the year.
This recipe is very easy to whip up. The marinade time is very forgiving – you can do 20 minutes minimum or up to 24 hours. Overnight seems good!
Here are a couple of things to watch out for to make your dish a success.
- Do not overcook the steak. You want medium rare so it should be pink in the middle of the strip after it rests. It will go into the pan with the sauce so by the time you are done it will be cooked through.
- Flank steak must be cut against the grain or it will be tough. Against the grain usually means across the shorter side. You can see the texture of the meat has strands going the length of the steak. You want to cut across those strands. And the thinner the better to ensure tenderness.
- You don’t want the black pepper too fine so it can’t come out of your pepper grinder. Put the whole peppercorns in a baggie and crush with a rolling pin edge or can.
- The garnish, especially the red pepper gives this dish a nice additional kick.
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 2 Tbsps cornstarch
- 2 Tbsps Mirin (Chinese cooking wine) or sub dry sherry or broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 6 Tbsps soy sauce
- 6 Tbsps liquid honey
- 3 Tbsps oyster sauce or sub fish sauce
- 4 Tbsps Mirin (Chinese cooking wine) or sub dry sherry or broth
- 4 Tbsps water
- 2 tsps crushed black pepper crush whole pepper corns with a rolling pin to coarse pieces
- green onions trimmed and sliced diagonally -optional
- red chile peppers minced -optional
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a sealable bag or container. Add your the flank steak and marinate 20 minutes to 24 hours.
- Preheat your broiler or grill. Broil flank steak to medium rare- about 4 minutes a side. Remove from heat and cover loosely with foil for about 5 minutes. Thinly slice the flank steak against the grain. You may want to cut the slices down the middle so you have 4-6 inch thin pieces.
- Meanwhile in a large wok or saute pan combine the sauce ingredients except for the crushed black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the flank steak and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half the crushed pepper. Reserve the remainder to garnish the finished dish,
- Garnish with green onions and red chile peppers if desired. Serve over plain rice or noodles.