This Slow Cooker Brisket in Guinness is a great way to get your Irish on! Braising your brisket in Guiness low and slow makes a delicious, caramelized roast.
Serve it with this Colcannon potatoes to sop up the gravy. I love Colcannon potatoes - the cabbage sounds weird but it lends a sweetness to the mix. You can't quite put your finger on the taste. It is great way to get some more veggies into your meal. I don't think anyone will object to the presence of the cabbage!
This is so simple to make. You can fix it in the morning and come home to a delicious dinner.
The Colcannon and Brisket both keep and reheat well.
Of course a Guinness would be a perfect accompaniment to this meal. So get your St. Paddy's on and go for it! (Since I am not familiar with any Irish wine The Wine Lover will withhold comment and/or judgement here!)
- 3 lbs beef brisket any visible fat removed
- 1 ½ tsps vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 2 large carrots cut into 2 inch lengths
- 3 celery stocks cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 11 oz Guinness beer
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste (can use Ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary (or sub 1 teaspoon Italian spices for both Thyme and Rosemary)
- Rinse your brisket if it has seasoning already on it. Heat oil to medium high in a skillet. Brown brisket on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Put onions, celery, carrots in bottom of slow cooker. Add the browned brisket.
- In a measuring cup mix the stock, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic and other spices. Pour over the brisket and vegetables. Pour the Guinness over the top of everything.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours. During the last hour mix the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of the sauce and shake well in a small covered jar. Pour the slurry back into the slow cooker and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker and loosely cover with foil for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with the sauce and vegetables.