When they say 'eat the rainbow' this Rainbow Coleslaw will have you well on your way! Celery seed and cider vinegar add some zip to the dressing.
This is a great way to get some veggie variation in your salad. The dressing is creamy and salty/sweet with the cider vinegar, sugar and celery seeds.
This makes a great side for burgers, sausages on a bun or any other meal where you want a dash of colour and flavour.
Chef's Tips for Rainbow Coleslaw With Celery Seed Dressing
- The most important thing for this recipe is the size of your grated cabbage. I used a mandolin with the blade for the smallest French Fry setting. You don't want your cabbage to be too fine. See the photo below. The cabbage on the left was my first attempt and it was too fine. The salad bordered on mushy. You can see the cut is much coarser and made for a much better salad.
- A food processor tends to make too fine a dice. If you don't have a mandolin I would consider slicing the cabbage finely by hand. Cut the cabbage into quarters and take fine slices off the outside pointy edges.
- You can make the dressing earlier in the day but don't put it on the salad until 1 - 2 hours before.
- You could substitute Grandma Barrie's Boiled Dressing for the mayo if you want to lighten this up even more.
You can make the dressing earlier in the day but don't mix it into the salad until 1-2 hours ahead of time.
Leftovers are still good the following day. After that the salad gets a bit watery.
I served it with this Pan Fried Trout with Red Onion and Blood Orange Relish.
This salad also makes a great side for burgers or BBQ chicken.
- Mandolin or Food Processor
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise
- 5 Tbsps cider vinegar
- 3/12 Tbsps grated onion
- 1 ½ tsps sugar
- 1 ½ tsps celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups green cabbage thinly sliced
- 3 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ cup peeled carrot grated
- 2 Tbsps fresh dill divided 1 + 1
- Whisk all Dressing ingredients together until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cabbages, peppers, onions, carrots and 1 tablespoon dill. Toss to combine.
- Add dressing and stir to combine. Refrigerate one hour and up to 2 hours before serving. (if you want to make ahead prepare dressing and salad separately and toss together one hour before serving.)
- Adjust salt and pepper and sprinkle remaining dill just before serving.