This Oriental Tossed Salad is a tried and true old favourite in our household.
I had forgotten how much I like this salad. We have been devouring it this summer but it would make a good salad any time of the year.
This is a variation on the Napa Cabbage Salad. Similar dressing and uses the flavour packet from Mr. Noodles Instant Noodles. Crushing the dried ramen noodles, along with the toasted almonds and sesame seeds adds some crunch to the salad.
The dressing is quite strongly flavoured. This makes a great side for a marinated steak or this Spicy Black Pepper Beef.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 Tbsps sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 1 medium carrot
- 4 green onions
- 1 Mr. Noodles Oriental Flavour Beef flavour works well too
- 6 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsps sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsps soya sauce
- 1 pkg spice from Mr. Noodles pkg
- In a dry skillet over medium high heat, toast the sesame seeds. Watch carefully and shake pan often. Remove from heat when golden brown. This may take about 6 minutes depending how fast your pan heats up.
- When sesame seeds are done transfer to a dish to cool and add the almond slices to the pan. Watch carefully and stir often. Remove from heat when golden brown. This may take about 7 minutes.
- While seeds and nuts are toasting, clean Romaine and shred.
- Peel and grate carrot.
- Trim ends off green onions and slice white and light green portions.
- Take half (or as much as you want) of the dry noodles and coarsely crush.
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Toss the lettuce, carrots and onions in a large bowl.
- Toss in sesame seeds, almonds and crushed noodles just before serving.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.