This Mushroom Brandy Cream Sauce is so versatile it will go well with beef, pork, poultry and even shrimp!This simple sauce will take your meal to the next level.
I served it originally with Schnitzel. In European restaurants you see all kinds of schnitzel variations with mushroom sauce, fried eggs etc. I usually pass, preferring a plain schnitzel with a wedge of lemon.
That might change from now on…..
Try it for yourself !
Do not substitute lower fat cream for the whipping cream or the sauce will separate when you are reducing it.
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 red onion
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced thin
- 6 Tbsps brandy
- 1 cup beef stock or best broth you can access
- 1 cup chicken stock or best broth you can access
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Peel and finely slice the red onion. Cut slices into quarters.
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 4 minutes till onions are translucent.
- Add the mushroom and cook until they have release their liquid. About 8 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add the brand and ignite. When the flames subside return the skillet to the burner.
- Cook a couple more minutes until brandy is mostly evaporated. About 1 minute.
- Add the beef and chicken stock and boil about 10 minutes. Add the cream and boil until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. (another 5-10 minutes).
- Serve with pork, beef, chicken or shrimp.