This Lemon Pistachio Rice is so tasty! It makes a perfect side for fish or seafood because the lemon here really pops!
It is pleasantly surprising how lemony this rice actually tastes. It screams spring to me.
I served it with this Herb Crusted Salmon and Lemon Cream. The Lemon Cream Sauce makes the whole meal nicely moist. It also pairs well with other vegetables like asparagus, cauliflower, even green beans.
This is such a nice combination of flavours that all complement each other I bet this will become one of your go to meals! Perfect for family or entertaining.
- Rinsing the rice before cooking is the key to not having sticky clumps of rice. Don’t skip this step. It only takes a couple of minutes.
- To make this ahead, cook the rice and let it cool spread out on a baking sheet to keep it from clumping. When ready to serve, drizzle with broth and cover tightly with foil. Heat in a 400 degree oven about 10 minutes. Add the last pistachios and lemon zest just before serving.
- Adding the pistachios after cooking the rice keeps them crunchy.
- 4 tsps olive oil
- 2 large shallots minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 8 Tbsps pistachios unsalted and chopped (divided 2 Tbsps and 6 Tbsps)
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon strips, finely chopped
- Rinse rice in a colander with cold water until the water runs clear.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the rice and 2 Tbsps of the pistachios and cook another 2 minutes. Add the broth, lemon juice and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice, and then stir in the remaining pistachios and lemon zest.
- Make ahead: You can cook the rice ahead and cool spread out on a baking sheet to keep it from clumping. When ready to serve, drizzle with broth and cover tightly with foil. Heat in a 400 degree oven about 10 minutes. Add the last pistachios and lemon zest just before serving.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 152mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g