This Grilled Onion Cream Sauce will be the star of your meal. You can make this flavourful sauce with only a few ingredients.
The secret though is in the charring…. I barbequed my onion slices over charcoal with the lid down. You could also smoke them over soaked wood chips if you like that sort of thing.
I find smoked food over wood chips a bit too strong for my taste but obviously many people enjoy the flavours so you can choose your method.
BBQ season here in Canada is going to become challenging as winter approaches, although I think we are rather famous for grilling with gas BBQs in the snow!
This sauce is so simple. You cut the onion into thick slices so you can maximize the amount of surface that will char. Then you melt some butter in sauce pan, add the onions with salt and pepper. Add cream and water and simmer for 25 minutes until the onions are completely soft and the cream has thickened. Then you purée it in your blender and voilà – you have an amazing sauce that will be the star of your meal.
I first used it to make these Roasted Potatoes with Grilled Onion Cream Sauce– a little fussy but quite impressive for entertaining.
You could just as easily pour this sauce over a baked potato with far less fuss.
It would also be an amazing sauce for a pork tenderloin, chicken and even steak.
You could make your entire meal on the grill if you char the onions, bake the potatoes and grill your meat as well. Just sayin’…..
Use your imagination…. once you taste it you will be looking for ways to use it!
I am making plans to grill some onions and freeze them so I can whip this up over the winter months without having to brave the grill!
- 2 medium yellow onions (enough for about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup 18% cream
- Grill onion slices over medium high heat until they are charred slightly. This may take about 20 minutes. Turn onion slices over once the first side is becoming blackened.
- Remove from grill and set aside. Heat butter in saucepan, add the grilled onions and salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and sweat the onions for 4-5 minutes. Add the cream and water and simmer about 25 minutes until onions are completely soft and cream has thickened slightly.
- Transfer the onion cream mixture to blend and blend until very smooth.
- The strength of your blender may impact the degree of smoothness you attain. If not very smooth you may want to strain the sauce over a fine sieve to get rid of any lumps. (Optional).
- Serve warm with baked potatoes or meat of your choice.