This is a quick and easy variation of the classic German Bee Sting Cake that gives you a butter cream torte flavour without the labour intensity! Honey, almond and bavarian style cream filling…yum!
Bee Sting Cake or Bienenstich is named for the honey theme. The original recipe would also use a more dense cake mixture made with honey in the cake part as well as the topping. There are also version just with the dense cake and honey topping (no cream filling). There seem to be quite a few variation on the traditional so I don’t feel badly about adding my variation to the mix!
I have to admit I have been spoiled over the years. My husband’s mother and aunts used to all contribute a special German torte to special events. They all had their specialities and of course – I have to come to know and love them all! Black Forest Cake, Prince Regente Torte, Buttercream Torte….
One day I will make a full torte from scratch and post but today I have a quick and easy recipe for you. It is the old 80/20 rule… 80% of the flavour for 20% of the work. So this will be a great recipe for summer that limits your kitchen time but delivers great taste!
In the traditional version of the cake, the cake batter is very dense so the honey almond mixture sits on top and makes a consistent glaze. In my ‘cheater’ version some of the glaze sinks into the batter a bit because the cake batter is lighter. So it doesn’t make a solid glaze but you still get the flavour on top!
This cake is moist and is not overly sweet.. it is more creamy, vanilla-y. Definitely a hit around our house! Serve chilled from the fridge and it is a nice refreshing dessert. Perfect for a BBQ or picnic too!
Update December 2017: I made this again for a Birthday cake so I wanted to up the presentation factor. Check out the slight changes I made to produce this ‘occasion worthy’ Bee Sting II cake!
German Bee Sting Cake (Bienenstich)
- 1 French vanilla cake mix or similar neutral flavour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 1-2 Tbsps flour to sprinkle over top of batter of top layer
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 4oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup 10% cream
- Preheat oven according to cake mix instructions.
- Melt butter for topping in a non-stick saucepan over medium/low heat. Add honey and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, remove from heat and add vanilla and almond slices. Allow to cool.
- Line 2 - 8" round cake pans or 1 - 10" spring form pan with parchment paper. Prepare cake mix according to instructions.
- Pour cake batter into your cake pan(s). Sprinkle top of 1 pan with a Tbsp of flour or so. Gently pour/spread honey almond topping over top of 1 pan.
- Bake according to manufacturers instructions.
- Remove cake from oven when toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool about 20 minutes. If using 1 pan, remove cake from pan and slice horizontally in half. If using 2 pans remove bottom of cake from pan and remove parchment paper. Transfer bottom cake to serving platter.
- To prepare the filling beat whipping cream until it forms stiff. Beat in pudding mix and continue beating until it is stiff. Beat in the 10% cream until well mixed.
- Spread half the filling over the bottom layer of the cake. Position the top layer with the almond topping side up over the bottom layer. With a spatula spread the remaining pudding mix around the sides to completely cover. Leave the almond filling exposed for top of cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.