Ahh! That addictive combination of sweet and salty is defined in these easy salty Chocolate Caramel Bars.
Just a few very traditional ingredients and a few minutes to mix. It will need about 20 minutes in the oven and some chill time.
It is crumbly until it cools and solidifies so it is a great make ahead recipe. It stores and keeps well in the fridge for up to a week or so.
You can also freeze them for months.
It is easy to transport. You can leave it in the pan or cut them and take them on a plate or in a container.
These bars are very sturdy once cooled. They would make a great addition to a picnic or lunch bag.
Nothing new under the sun here folks. This is a bit reminiscent of those super easy squares you see at Christmas. You know the ones... graham wafers spread with melted chocolate and caramel.
This is actually a great recipe for kids just starting to bake if you supervise the microwave and bake time. May be a good idea to teach the kids since you will be making these over and over again!
Amazing flavour here folks with just a few simple ingredients!
- 1 ¾ cups graham wafer crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup salted caramel chips can substitute butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cups salty pretzels pieces (large chunks)
- Line a 9 X 13" baking pan with foil leaving a 2" overhang on all sides. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter gently in the microwave.
- Mix the graham crumbs, sugar and salt. Then stir in the butter and mix till well moistened. Press firmly into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Pour chocolate chips and condensed milk in a large microwaveable container. Melt on high about 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir thoroughly. Add time in 30 seconds increments if necessary to fully melt. Stir well each time you add more time.Or Stove top method: combine chocolate chips and condensed milk in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until chocolate is melted. Stir to combine well.
- Pour warm chocolate mix over the graham crumb base. Distribute pretzel pieces evenly over the chocolate layer. You can choose how much chocolate layer you want to leave exposed. Gently melt the salted caramel chips with the teaspoon of vegetable oil in the microwave sitrring every half minute. Drizzle evenly over top of the pan.
- Bake a further 12 minutes at 350°.
- Remove from oven. Allow to come to room temperature and then chill at least 4 hours to allow it to firm up.
- Using the foil overhang you can carefully remove the squares from the pan to a flat surface. Cut in to even squares and serve.
- Refrigerate covered up to a week. Squares also freeze well, tightly sealed, for months.