These Lemon Squares are so simple and so good that I used to make them almost once a week when I was a kid. Only 8 ingredients that you probably have on hand!
We used to take a picnic to the beach most Sundays and these were almost always in the picnic cooler.
This was my Mom’s recipe as you may have deduced by now! Only 3 ingredients for the base and 5 ingredients for the lemon layer. And you probably have them on hand at any given time!
You can dust them with icing sugar when they are cool. It makes them look nice but they are actually sweet enough without it.
You can whip up the base ingredients in your food processor in no time at all. Then you can beat the lemon layer ingredients while the base is pre-cooking.
These square keep well in the fridge and they freeze well…. so … Make Ahead!
You will get 16 1″ squares. I cut them into 1/2 inch squares to serve them with The Royal Wedding Tea Party. They were so dainty and cute.
And… they also went really well with my homemade Limoncello!
So Simple Lemon Squares
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- icing sugar for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the base ingredients in your food processor until the butter is well incorporated. Press into and 8" X 8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs until a bit foamy. Add remaining lemon layer ingredients and beat to incorporate. Pour over the crust and bake a further 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar if desired.