This versatile Chicken Shawarma Wrap may become your best friend this summer! Whether it is a simple supper or easy entertaining - this will fit the bill.
Quick and easy and full of flavour! You can grill it indoors or on the BBQ!
Buy some Naan or flatbreads or make your own. Add a bit of cooling Tzatziki -like sauce and you have a stick to your ribs sandwich!
The spices on the chicken are flavourful without being overpowering. I like them so much I have marinated pork loin in it as well and it is just as good. I have not tried beef but I think it would work equally as well.
The recipe is very versatile. You can make the marinade as hot as you like by increasing the cayenne pepper. You can make the sauce as garlicky as you like by increasing the garlic cloves.
Add the toppings you like. Tomato chunks have a nice, juicy cooling effect. Red onion adds a bit of bite.
These wraps are perfect for easy entertaining. You can prep everything well ahead. It only takes a few minutes to grill. Guests can customize their own wraps with chicken hot off the grill. There is so much flavour here it is hard to believe it is so easy.
For another easy but flavourful wrap filling check out this Spanish Pork Pimentón (fancy for smoked paprika!). And the extra garlicky sauce gives it extra kick!
Wine Pairing for Chicken Shawarma Wraps
The spices here are sturdy so you will want a robust wine. This is a great time to pair an oaked Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc. A white Rhone blend would also work.
On the red spectrum - stay away from heavy tannins or the spice may seem hotter and perhaps bitter. Look for a Rhone blend, a Ripasso or a young tempranillo.
Chicken Shawarma Wrap
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts both work
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper increase if you want pronounded heat
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 6 flatbreads of choice (home made flat bread) Naan, pitas, home made flat bread
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced (increase to 2 if you want it really garlicky)
- 1 teaspoon cumin optional
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¼q teaspoon salt
Optional Additions for Serving
- red onion slices
- black olive slices
- tomato chunks
- hot sauce
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Slather liberally over all surfaces of chicken and refrigerate at least a couple of hours and up to 48 hours. See Note 1.
- Combine all ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce and refrigerate.
- When ready to cook, heat BBQ or broiler. Cook chicken breast 5 minutes on first side, flip and cook 4-5 minutes on second side. Internal temperature should reach 165°. If cooking cubes on skewers cook about 4 minutes per side. Ensure cubes allow air to circulate between cubes.
- Allow cooked chicken to rest 5 minutes covered. Slice chicken or remove cubes from skewer. Warm flat bread and divide chicken evenly among flat breads. Add the toppings you want and drizzle with sauce. Wrap the flat bread in parchment paper or a sturdy napkin to catch drips and help the wrap keep its shape.