I am a fan of White Pizza and this Chicken, Onion and Olive Pie with its White Garlic Pizza Sauce is a little like an “Alfredo’ Pizza!
Technically a white pizza is all white so I am cheating a bit with the red onion and black olive here.
If you have pizza dough on hand or want to buy dough or a base this is a real cinch to pull together. The white sauce only takes about 7 minutes to pull together.
This is a great way to use up leftover chicken. I had a breast left over that wasn’t enough to serve as a meal on its own. I had frozen it and then I just defrosted it and chopped it up.
So.. that is how the chicken quantity in the recipe got to be 6 oz! The 6 oz over the 2 pizza bases is generous.
Having said that the quantities are fairly flexible. The sauce amount is just right for 2 – 10″ pizzas but the chicken, onion and olives you can use what you have or adjust to your taste. I would point out that the black olives are quite salty. They make a nice flavour hit on the pizza but you probably want to make sure you don’t overwhelm the pizza with them.
Wine Pairing for Chicken, Red Onion and Black Olive Pie With White Garlic Pizza Sauce
This pizza would go well with any number of white wines. A Chardonnay, a Chenin Blanc, Pinot Grigio would be good bets. Or you could go full fledged Italian and go for a Soave or Gavi di Gavi.
A light red would work as well. A light Sangiovese or Tempranillo – so look for medium bodied description as opposed to full-bodied.
Chicken, Onion and Olive Pie With White Garlic Pizza Sauce
- 1 Food Processor Pizza Dough recipe (reserve dough for 3rd crust for another use)
- 2 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsps flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced (If you want more pronounced garlic add 1 more clove)
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan grated
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast finely diced
- 1/4 quarter red onion thinly sliced, vertically
- 12 black olives pitted and rough chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. Preheat pizza stone(s) or baking sheet(s). Arrange racks to top third and bottom third of oven.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook about 2 minutes. Whisk milk in slowly ensuring there are no lumps. Add parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir to melt cheese and remove from heat. Allow sauce to cool while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Roll out pizza dough to 2 -10" thin crust pizzas.
- Transfer each pizza crust to its own parchment paper.
- Spread half the sauce over each crust, half the chicken, half the onion and half the olives.
- Slide parchment paper with dressed pizza on to the prepared stones or sheets.
- Place one sheet on each rack. Bake 7 minutes then switch sheets to the other rack. Bake another 7-10 minutes until crust is crispy and starts to brown. (Actual time will depend on how thick your crust is and how hot your stones or sheets were). Start to check at 14 minutes.
- When done remove from oven, allow to sit for about 3 minutes and then slice and serve.