You can prep this Caramel Cinnamon Bread Pudding in about 15 minutes if you buy the Cinnamon Raisin bread and Caramel sauce. This is a great recipe to get your kids involved in the kitchen!
I had this incredible warm bread pudding in Copenhagen after a tapas meal. That was 3 years ago and I have been dreaming of it ever since! They called it something like The Emperors Warm pudding I think but I could never find anything remotely called that on-line. If anyone recognizes the original I would absolutely love to hear from you!
So I recreated it to the best of my memory and then decided to add apples because apples and cinnamon, apples and caramel.. it just seemed right! They also lighten the pudding up a bit. This bread pudding has all the components of fall - cinnamon, apples, raisins, caramel...yum!
It is quite rich so you don't need a big serving to be satisfied! Based on that you can serve a bit of a crowd with it. Twelve servings makes it great for casual entertaining. Or, put it a fancy cup and stick a shard of chocolate into it at a rakish angle and turn it into a dessert worthy of more high brow entertaining. It won't take you any longer to make it and your guests will rave about it.
The pudding comes together really quickly because you use store-bought Cinnamon Raisin bread and caramel sauce. Caramel is so popular now it is easy to find all kinds of quality ones, salted, creamy, you name it.
I made my own caramel sauce because I had the time and the ingredients (and I didn't want to go to the store again!) It really is easy - you can do it while the pudding is in the oven. If you want to make your own you can use my recipe for Caramel Sauce with Sea Salt.
I used a 9 X 13" pan but you could use a square deeper dish if you want your pudding to be thicker.
You could also get creative and drizzle some rum or bourbon over the warm pudding as well. However if you want to keep it kid-friendly use this version and serve the adults a side of Gran Marnier or Baileys!
I hope if you try it you dream of making it often as I did!
- 8 cups cinnamon raisin bread in 1" cubes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup cream (or you can use all milk)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 apples peeled and diced (optional|)
- 1 ½ cups good quality caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13" baking pan.
- Beat the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl. When well combined stir in the bread and apple chunks.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake 30 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- In a heat proof measuring cup, gently warm the caramel sauce over low/medium power in the microwave until it is pour-able consistency and warm
- When the pudding comes out of the oven prick the pudding all over with a toothpick. Pour ½-3/4 cup of warm caramel over the pudding. Reserve the remaining caramel to serve on the side.
- Serve warm.