This Avocado Black Bean Salad is great any time of the year but is a great choice in the cooler seasons.
It really sticks to your ribs and you serve it at room temperature so it feels substantial in the winter months. But it would also be delicious any time of the year!
The ingredients are quite versatile. The sweet potato and black beans give you quite a bit of fiber per serving. I used yellow pepper but any pepper would work.
My husband is not a
big fan of sweet potato so if that is your situation as well you could double the avocado and beans or consider adding some of the other ingredients suggest below.
You could also add a bit of corn kernels if you like, tomato. (I avoided the tomato with the sweet potato but if you omit the sweet potato tomatoes become a welcome addition.)
This gives 4 generous servings. I prefer it at room temperature or even if the sweet potatoes are slightly warm. But suit your own tastes.
The dressing is this Cilantro Lime Dressing. Cilantro is the signature flavour, so along with come cumin it really amps up the Mexican cuisine inspiration.
And.... here is my latest obsession.... Air Fryer Tortillas! You can buy fancy tortilla strips for salad toppings but they are expensive and I don't always see them around. So... the tortillas were there on the counter beside the Air Fryer.... and eureka! My obsession was born!
They are chewy and spicy and you can customize the seasoning to suit your tastes!
Avocado Black Bean Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 sweet yellow pepper or colour of you choice
- 2 Tbsps cilantro leaves rough choppped
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Bake the sweet potato, skin on about 40 minutes @ 350° F, until center is fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle remove the skin, trim the ends if necessary. Dice in about 1" cubes.
- Chop the pepper into 1" squares.
- Mix the sweet potato, pepper, beans and onion in a bowl. Just before serving peel and core the avocado. Cut it in to slices or chunks. If there is a delay in serving after cutting the avocado, toss the avocado in some dressing to coat it to avoid it oxidizing.
- Pour dressing over salad just before serving. Serve while sweet potato is slightly warm if desired or room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with Air Fryer Tortillas on the side if desired.