Yellow Beans with Lemon and Thyme make a great vegetable side.
I found the most beautiful yellow string beans at the Farmer’s Market. They were perfect – unblemished and crisp.
I have to say that string beans green or yellow have looked rather dodgy the past few months in my regular supermarkets. I am not sure why but of late they look withered and blemished.
So I was so happy when I found fresh ones at the market.
I served the as a bed for Champagne Roasted Argentinian Shrimp. They were a perfect combination. There is thyme in both dishes and the buttery Champagne sauce that drizzled down into the beans was absolutely delicious.
The shrimp and beans make a great and easy menu for entertaining. The beans alone make a great side with anything where a touch of lemon and thyme would be a welcome addition.
- 24 oz Yellow string beans tips trimmed
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 2 tsps fresh thyme
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Wash and trim beans.
- Heat water in the bottom of a steamer or bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add beans. Steam 9-12 minutes or boil about 9 minutes.
- Beans will be tender crisp. Drain and immediately rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Can be done up to a day ahead. Allow beans to drain and refrigerate.
- Heat oil, thyme and lemon in a large skillet. Add the beans and saute over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.