If you want easy entertaining or just a good chicken dinner this Super Easy Chicken recipe is calling your name!
You can make this dish with breasts or thighs – deboned and skinless in either case. I usually make it with dry white wine but I have used Champagne as well when I had some open and company coming.
But – don’t think you have to use Champagne to make this company-worthy. It is delicious either way.
It is also very versatile- you can cook in skillet in under 30 minutes or you can cook it in a slow cooker 4 hours on high or 7-8 on low.
That is almost ‘fix it and forget it’ – well okay – it is ‘fix it and forget it’ that way. Imagine coming home from work (does anyone ‘come home’ anymore or just log off??) and your dinner is ready.
Well almost. You are still going to want to have rice or pasta to go under it to sop up all that delicious sauce. I guess you could thicken it and serve it with potatoes too. I have not tried that but I will serve it that way next!
Wine Pairing for Chicken in Vinegar Sauce
This has a lot of flavour so a fairly robust wine would be in order here. For white try a White Grenache, a Chenin Blanc or a Chardonnay. On the red spectrum a fruity Zinfandel would work or a GSM blend. A Merlot would also be a good choice.
Super Easy Chicken in Vinegar Sauce
- cooking spray
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or substitute chicken broth for alcohol free
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp tarragon can substitute dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the onions and saute 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook another 5 minutes or so. Turn the chicken only once and try to develop some browning on the chikcen.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients.
- If using the skillet add the sauce ingredients, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- If using the slow cooker, transfer the onions and chicken and pan juices to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce remove 1/2 cup of the onion/sauce and dissolve the cornstarch in it. Return slurry to the pan and cook until desired thickness. (If using the slow cooker add the thickener 30 minutes before ready to serve.)
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or pasta.