Stir Fried Chinese Bok Choy is a great way to get a bunch of vegetables into your day!
In the doldrums of winter I was tired of roasted squash, root vegetables etc. I was also looking in the produce department for some of the best looking fresh vegetables.
By February some of the stuff around here is looking pretty dodgy.
Then I saw some bright fresh baby bok choy (Shanghai Bok Choy) and I thought of those great Chinese side dishes with celery, mushrooms in a light sauce and I was inspired.
I have to say this made for a refreshing meal, kinda like Chinese Takeout at home!
I was really pleased with how this turned out. You can add in some red pepper flakes if you want to give it a bit of heat. You could also add inn some almond slices if you like. I didn't because there were already almonds in the chicken dish I was making.
You could switch out some vegetables as needed. Sweet peppers or thin carrot coins could be good if that is what you have on hand.
I was really happy with the way it turned out and believe me -with the garlic in this it is no shrinking violet of a dish!
Stir Fried Chinese Bok Choy With Garlic
- 1 1b Shanghai Bok Choy (baby bok choy)
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 4 oz celery about 2 stalks
- 4 oz English cucumber about ⅓ large
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- Trim the base of the bok choy, split vertically and rinse well fanning the leaves to remove any sand or dirt. Drain off excess water and slice diagonally.
- Slice mushrooms and celery thinly.
- Peel and seed cucumber. Cut vertically into quarters and then cut into 3" lengths.
- Mince the garlic.
- Combine the broth, soy sauce, cornstarch in a small dish and mix well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the garlic and let if fry about 30 seconds.
- Add the bok choy and mushrooms and stir fry about 2 minutes.
- Add the celery and cucumber and stir fry another 3 minutes.
- Add the broth mixture and stir fry another 4 minutes or so until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Stir in sesame oil 30 seconds before transferring mixture to a serving bowl.