This Smoked Duck Breast Salad is an easy and elegant starter salad. The flavours are rather bold so it works well as a stand alone course.
You could increase the quantities for a lunch portion if you like.
We have just had a new Asian grocery store open in the Waterloo area( T&T Superstore) and I have been having fun with all the new ingredients at my disposal.
When I saw the individual smoked duck breasts in the showcase I didn't know what exactly I was going to do with them but I was sure I would find something!
This salad is quick to prepare since the smoked duck breast is already fully cooked. If you can't find smoked duck breast it would still be worth it to cook your own. See how to cook a duck breast here.
Check here for the easiest way to seed a pomegranate without all that red stain running all over.
This makes a great salad in the winter when pomegranates are available. If pomegranates are not in season consider substituting tart cherries.
You can find pomegranate molasses at Middle eastern stores year round.
This salad begs for a Pinot Noir with its tart cherry profile. You could also look for a Rhone wine or GSM blend. A medium body red would work best.
If white is your preference I would look for a Fume Blanc or Chenin Blanc.
Smoked Duck Breast Salad with Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 6 oz smoked duck breast
- ¾ cup pomegranate kernels
- 1 shallot sliced thinly
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- ½ cup walnuts whole or halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsps pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a dry non-stick skillet heat walnuts over medium heat. Stir often and watch carefully. When they start to brown and you can smell them they are done. This may take 8-10 minutes. Set walnuts aside to cool.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar in the skillet over medium heat. Saute shallot and red onion until golden and caramelized. Stir occasionally. This may take up to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together and shake well.
- Microwave the breast 2 minutes on high and then slice the duck breast thinly. Aim for about 18 slices. Allow duck to cool.
- Mix the greens, pomegranate kernels and walnuts together. Divide greens mixture among 6 plates. For each, top greens with ⅙ of onions. Arrange ⅙ of duck slices in the center of the greens on each plate.
- Drizzle dressing over the plates and serve.