What to make when your friend hands you a baby eggplant right off the vine? Roasted Eggplant Dip. And since I never have it on hand I made it without Tahini.
I did have some on hand once when I made this delicious Creamy Hummus and it can be a real game changer. But.. not this time and I wanted to turn this fresh baby egpplant into something right away!
So... I ended up roasting it and turning it into this delicious Baba Ganoush type dish.
There is a secret to the creaminess here though. It uses raw cashews or raw almonds soaked for a short time. Anyone who is Vegan or Dairy intolerant probably has those on hand at any given time. You don't need a lot - about 2-3 Tbsps should do it.
I keep a stash of each in my freezer since I became aware of their verstality and health benefits. So... I was on my way to this creamy dip.
I could hardly put my crackers down! I just kept wanting to go back or 'just another little dip'!
Luckily it is healthy!
Roasted Eggplant Dip No Tahini
- 2 medium globe eggplants about 2 lbs total (more if they are small)
- 3 Tbsps olive oil divided 1 tablespoon + 2 Tbsps
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 oz raw cashews can substitute raw peeled almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice preferably fresh
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon paprika plus more for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Pierce them randomly with a fork and spread 1 tablespoon olive oil on cut sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast eggplant cut side down for 30 - 40 minutes. Flesh should be soft and collapsing.
- Scoop out the cooked flesh,
- While eggplant is roasting, soak the nuts in water for 15 minutes, then drain.
- When eggplant is cooked and you can handle it, scoop out the flesh and add the eggplant and all remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer dip to a bowl and sprinkle more cumin and paprika over the top if desired.
- Serve with flat bread or crackers.