This Rapini was a perfect side dish for my Chicken Saltimbocca with Lemon Sauce.
The Lemon Sauce complemented both the Saltimbocca and the Rapini.
Rapini is sort of the ugly step sister of broccoli except - news flash- Rapini, or Broccoli Rabe as it is also known, is a member of the turnip family and not related to broccoli at all. They just happen to look somewhat similar.
Rapini is know for its bitter, earthy flavour. Apparently best practice is to blanche the Rapini for 2-3 minutes to alleviate the bitterness.
Some people like it with a sprinkle of white vinegar over it as well.
- 1 head rapini
- 2 cloves garlic slivered lengthwise
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- red pepper flakes optional
- Rinse Rapini head well and drain. Heat a large pot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Add the rapini, return to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and rinse in cold water.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan. Add the rapini and garlic and pepper flakes and stir to coat. When rapini is heat through transfer to a serving dish.