These Quick Pickled Onions make a great tangy accent to a salad or a burger. They only need about an hour to make but they keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. Just drain the vinegar from the onions before serving.
If you are adventurous you might find the now-onion-infused- vinegar is a tangy addition to other salad dressings.
You can use red onions which are kind of mild and sweet or Vidalia onions. You can switch up the vinegar as well to make a variation. The recipe is written with the traditional red onion and apple cider vinegar. I have made it with Vidalia onions and Raspberry Red Wine Vinegar and that was good too!
You can use them in this Baby Cucumber Salad Recipe to get started!
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsps coarse sea salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 red onion sliced vertically, thinly
- Mix water, vinegar, salt and sugar and whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour over onion slices in a small jar.
- Allow to stand in fridge at least one hour and up to 2 weeks. Try to ensure the liquid covers the onion.