Persimmon and Pomegranate Crostini seem like Christmas to me because that is usually when I see these fruits in my supermarket.
These are super simple but interesting. I think many people are somewhat scared off by persimmons because of all the tales of astringency and bitterness.
Just look for Fuyu persimmons and you won't have to worry about that.
If you are looking for big pay back for little effort... this recipe is for you!
Persimmon and Pomegranate Crostini
- ½ French baguette cut diagonally into 21 slices
- 2 Tbsps olive oil for brushing
- sea salt
- 12 oz Brie sliced thinly
- 3 persimmons peeled, cored and sliced vertically thinly into 42 thin slices (See recipe note 1 below)
- 3 tsps brown sugar
- fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds from half a pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Adjust racks to top and bottom racks if using 2 sheets.
- Brush one side of each baguette slice with olive oil. Spread in one layer on baking sheet(s).
- Bake 10 minutes till dry and toasty. Remove from oven and very lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Do not over salt. Switch oven to broiler. Leave top rack where it is (ie do not raise up to top position).
- Position a slice of Brie on each baguette slice. Top with 1-2 persimmon slices. Sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle about ⅛ teaspoon of brown sugar over top.
- Put sheet in to broil until sugar melts and cheese softens. Watch carefully that they don't burn. This will only take 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Crack pepper lightly over top and serve.