This Blueberry Banana Bread is a great way to get some blueberries into your diet! It uses mashed bananas and apple sauce for sweetness and moisture so it is healthy too!
My husband is on a wellness journey and losing weight steadily so I have to be careful not to decimate his diet or resolve! This loaf works out to about 3 Weight Watcher Free Style Smart points per slice. The loaf should produce about 14 slices.
The bananas and applesauce make this loaf moist without all the calories of oil. It freezes beautifully and keeps well for a few days as well.
I am sure you could substitute other berries for the blueberries if you like.
If you coat your blueberries with a bit of flour they will not sink to the bottom of your loaf. You can stir them in and they will stay put. You will get a more even distribution of fruit.
I like to make them in mini loaf pans so I have smaller versions. I used four 3 1/2″ X 6″ disposable loaf pans for these. In that case they are baked in roughly 30 minutes. I like the minis because we can enjoy one fresh and freeze the others.
They also make nice hostess gifts no matter which size. I also made a Blueberry Zucchini set of loaves that were delicious but not as low cal as this one!
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 5 " loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Beat the wet ingredients with beaters until banana is pureed and mixture is smooth.
- Add wet mixture to dry and stir well to incorporate evenly. Put blueberries in a bag with the Tbsp flour and shake them to coat them with flour. Stir in blueberries and mix evenly.
- Pour into the loaf pan. Bake 55 minutes. Check after 50 minutes. Remove loaf when toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- All loaf to cool about 15 minutes and then turn loaf out on to a rack to finish. Cooling.