This Kiwi Salad with Avocado and Creamy Lime Dressing is tangy and refreshing! It makes a great side for a Mexican meal.
But don't stop there -it makes a great side for chicken, beef or pork too. Anywhere a citrus flavour would work - this will work.
I just realized as I was preparing this post.... I guess I really like green salads with fruit in them since my 3 favourites that were posted first all have fruit in them! "Lime" green really says it for this salad. The dressing is predominantly lime flavoured....and all the ingredients are green! 'Punny' no?
Ingredients for this salad are readily available year round but as always it is even better when the fruits and avocados are at their best.
The avocado give it a bit of substance so it make a nice filling lunch salad on its own.
- If you want to prepare this salad ahead get all the ingredients ready and just store them separately until ready to serve. The avocado is best chopped just before serving. In theory you can prevent them from turning brown with a lemon juice wash but I never have much luck with that.
This calls for a clean crisp white wine- think Pinot Grigio, light and crisp Chardonnay. A Riesling would work too.
Kiwi Salad with Avocado and Lime Dressing
- 2 heads romaine lettuce chopped
- ¾ cup seedless green grapes halved
- 3 kiwi fruit peeled and diced
- 1 370 ml can mandarin pieces drained
- 1 avocado (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted almond slices
- 5 Tbsps mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime (approx 3 Tbsp)
- Toast almond slices in 350 degree oven approx 10 minutes.
- Toss lettuce, grape, kiwis, avocados if using, and mandarins in large bowl.
- Whisk Dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Combine Salad and Dressing just before serving and sprinkle with toasted almonds.